HistoryThe quilt was made by Minnie Lucy Violet McLoughlin in Tasmania about 1895. It was made for her trousseau and embroidery on patches includes hearts, linked rings, blue birds, initials and sea related motifs. It is believed that Minnie was jilted and in 1915 she gave the quilt to Elsie Whelan on her marriage to Charles Brown. Elsie was the daughter of Minnie's friend Annie Whelan. Elsie and Charles gave the quilt to their son Terence in 1942 on the occasion of his marriage to Beryl. The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery acquired Minnie's quilt in 1999 with the assistance of the Tasmanian Quilters' Guild and the Launceston Patchworkers and Quilters Inc. Minnie was born 28 August 1878 in Hobart to Joseph and Mary (born Woods) McLoughlin, their sixth child.
DescriptionQuilt has a centre panel of white velvet roses and green leaves with embroidered spider webs, on red velvet. Two side panels are in crazy patchwork in plain and patterned silks and velvets. All patches are edged with feather, herringbone or blanket stitch. Many patches are embroidered, including 'Minnie', 'Good Luck', birds, flowers, anchor, boat, fish, shell, spider web, crown, two crossed flags, tennis racquets, Australian motifs including wattle. The centre panel has a row of ruched olive green ribbon each side and the whole quilt has a border of dark blue velvet. The padding is cotton wadding and the backing is cream cotton printed with red and pink chrysanthemums and green leaves.
2113 x 1995mm