HistoryMade by Mrs Brown, Queenscliff Victoria c. 1920. Given to the Running Stitch Group by Cyril Brown. Mrs Brown worked as a mantle-maker in Flinders Lane, Melbourne VIC. Her employer supplied fabric samples for the quilt which was her contribution to their home on her marriage.
According to Mrs browns son, Cyril, who donated the quilt to the Running Stitch group, the colour was selected by her employer because of the new married name. "If she had married Mr Green it would have been different". Cyril also remembers using the quilt when he and his wife visited his parents at their home on the Bellarine Peninsula.
This quilt is one of a collection of quilts known as 'The Running Stitch Collection' donated to the National Wool Museum in 1989 by the Running Stitch Group. (Barbara Macey, Lois Densham, Susan Denton and Jan Ross-Manley).
Earliest Date: 1910
Latest Date: 1930
DescriptionQuilt of brown woollen patchwork on both sides.
1770 x 1750 mm