The rug belonged to Harry Guy who came from the Fingal Valley Tasmania and was probably made by him. It was donated to the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery Tasmania in 1988 by Mrs S Pickett and Mrs S Guyton. Mrs. Pickett was Harry Guy's granddaughter. It is thought Fingal Valley wattles would have been used in the tanning process.
Skin rug made from feral cat skins and probably some wallaby pelts. There are twenty-eight individual skins and colours are dark brown, creamy yellow and striped and spotted light and dark brown and cream. One cat pelt measures 495mm. The striped and spotted skins indicate tabby cats. The backing is maroon felt extended to form a pinked and scalloped edge. The top is attached to the backing with hand stitching incorporating faded red ric-rac braid along the seam line on the back.
1680 x 1300mm