HistoryMade by Mary Ann Clark (1828-1917), later Mrs John William Wake King, about 1845, in England. In 1915 it was given to her granddaughter Emily King (Mrs Champness), second daughter of Mary Ann's eldest son William Frederick. In 1977 the quilt was donated to the Kaniva District Historical Society by the family of Emily's eldest daughter Irene (Mrs HL Williams). Mary Ann Clark came from Spalding, Lincolnshire. On 31 March 1850, she married John William Wake King, of London, at Trinity Church, Regent Park, London. John was a boot and shoe maker. Mary Ann King took out a prize for book binding at the Paris Exhibition in 1851. John decided to emigrate to Australia for health reasons and he, Mary Ann and their two children arrived at Port Adelaide on 16 November 1853, on board the 'Olivia'. John took up work as a shoe maker with a Mr HM Jackson of Nairne SA, and later took over the business. From 1855 to 1857 John was at the Victorian gold diggings but did not do very well. In 1857 he returned to Port Adelaide, walking back to Nairne, and took up business as an agent and auctioneer.
DescriptionPatchwork quilt of hexagons in 'Grandmother's Flower Garden' pattern, consisting of a dark centre hexagon, a row of light patches, then a second row of dark patches in the same colour as the centre. Each group of patches or 'flower' is joined by white paths. Colours are predominantly red, blue, brown and pale or faded colours. Some fading; some dark colour fabrics have deteriorated. Backing. Hand sewn. Border of quilt and backing are sewn edge to edge.
2236 x 1829mm