HistoryThe quilt was made by Mrs Hobbs in England prior to 1910 and donated to the National Trust in 1973 by Miss Phyllis Hobbs, her daughter. The quilt is stored in the National Trust Costume and Textile Store, Melbourne.
"[The] Donor's family emigrated from Cornwall, England in 1910. The quilt was made by her mother prior to emigration. Maker later became a domestic science teacher. The family lived in Brisbane, Queensland from 1910 for 30 years before moving to Melbourne [and the] donor brought the quilt with her. According to the donor, the quilt 'had many years hard wear'."
[Belinda Nemec, Manager of Collections, National Trust of Australia (Victoria), 9 February 2000]
DescriptionDouble sided patchwork quilt. One side has a centre of pieced hexagons enclosed by borders of plain strips and pieced stars and squares. The other side has a printed Royal Coat of Arms (lion and unicorn) 'Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense, Dieu Et Mon Droit', surrounded by wide borders of plain and printed materials in the style of frame quilts.
2400 x 2300mm
This is a historical record and cannot be modified.