|Collection||2001 National Quilt Register Collection by PWH|
|Owner||Dubbo Museum & Historical Society Inc.|
|Location||Dubbo NSW Australia|
|Pattern||Patchwork Pieced Geometric Medallion|
|Dimensions (H x W in cm)|
HistoryOwned by Susannah Gibbs (1828-1896) who married Obadiah Hoath (1830-1878) in England and came to Australia in 1856. Their daughter Hannah Maria Hoath (1861-1945) gave the quilt to her granddaughter Irene Kilfoyle, who donated the quilt to Dubbo Museum in 1983.
The quilt came with Susannah from England. It was stored in a wooden trunk which got wet on the voyage and the quilt still has some water marks from this.
Susannah and Obadiah went to Daylesford Victoria and lived there all their lives. Obadiah was a bricklayer. One of their children was Hannah Maria (1861-1945) who married Hugh Griffith in 1893. Hannah was a dressmaker. They lived in Victoria until 1912 when they came to Eumungerie (a small town near Dubbo NSW) where land was opened up and they had a block until about 1927 when they came into Dubbo. Hannah was Irene Kilfoyle's grandmother and gave her the quilt. Irene gave the quilt to Dubbo Museum in 1983, together with other items that had belonged to her great-grandmother Susannah.