HistoryThe rug belonged to Jane Waldeck who was the donor's great grandmother, then to her daughter May Ena Hill, then to her daughter Phyllis McMillan, who recalled being covered up with the rug while riding in her Grandmother's phaeton in Melbourne Victoria. Ownership continued by maternal descent to Phyllis' daughter Meg Newstead who donated it to the Western Australian Museum. It was used between 1890 and the 1980s.
DescriptionPossum skin rug constructed from 24 rectangular pieces hand stitched to a dark brown felt backing and couched on other side to faded blue silk tape. Nineteen possum tails similarly attached to felt backing dangle around three sides of the rug. All felt edges are scalloped.
1500 x 1200 mm