HistoryThe quilt was made by Mary Jane Hannaford about 1924 at Blanford, near Murrurundi, New South Wales. "There are seven known quilts initialled 'M.J.H.' five of which are owned by the National Gallery of Australia. The National Gallery of Australia purchased this quilt from a private collector, Sydney in 1982." Mary Jane Hannaford was born in Devonshire, England in 1840. She came to Australia on board the 'London', arriving in Sydney in March 1842. The family moved to Tamworth after the Australian Agricultural Company contracted her father as [a] shepherd. Her father died in 1852 when Mary was 12. Her Mother remarried two years later and they moved to Blanford near Murrurundi, New South Wales. Mary Jane lived with her parents until they died and continued to live with her brother on the farm 'Balmoral'. She never married but had a daughter, Emily Agnes Hannaford who married George Cady in 1887. Mary Jane died in Blanford in 1930." [NGA]
Description"This is a coverlet of pale blue cotton muslin, highly decorated with appliquéd pieced bands, figures, and embroidery. The edge of the quilt is finished with bands of yellow, white and green cotton attached with ladder stitch. Down the centre field of the design are four poems embroidered in quite crude chain stitch. Each piece of prose is accompanied by an appliquéd illustration. For example, a large clock accompanies a poem of time. 'While shepherds watch their flocks at night' is illustrated with a beautiful scene of the manger watched by an angel, cows and sheep. The appliqué and embroidery is executed crudely with large stitches in running and overcasting. The quilt is signed, 'M.J.H. aged 84 yrs. 1924.' " [NGA]
There is no padding or lining.
1640 x 1540mm