HistoryThe maker is unknown but the quilt was made in Wales c. 1850-1870. It was given to William Thomas Huxley and his wife Laura (born Ludbery) when their home and contents were destroyed by bushfires that swept through Anderson's Road, Lower Longley Tasmania in the late 1880s. It then passed to their granddaughter Miss Essie Huxley of 'Telopea' Lower Longley who gave it to Yvonne Hamdorf. Yvonne donated it to the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery in 1997.
DescriptionWholecloth quilt with one side cream wool and one side faded red wool. Red wool is joined with three seams by loom length; red appears to be cochineal dyed. Cream wool side appears to have been made from a hand woven blanket with blue selvedge on two sides. It is hand quilted in red wool thread; Welsh patterns including clamshell, Welsh pear, snail or spiral. Centre frame has two cable borders and the centre corners have fans. The outer quilted border has alternate four petal flowers, clamshell, and spirals. It is padded with hand carded wool.
1950 x 1935mm