HistoryThe quilt was made in the Yass district [of] New South Wales by Emily Clarke (born Baines) for her daughter Ivy in 1921 when Ivy was fourteen. It originally had a cretonne cover but this was replaced by Amy Clarke (Ivy's sister -in-law) in 1958. Amy was a dressmaker. It was used more or less continuously until about 1978.
Emily and Charles Clarke were married in 1890 and had ten children. They lived all their lives at 'Arneville' in the Yass district of NSW and the cross bred wool used in this quilt came from the property. Ivy, for whom the quilt was made, used it until about 1978 when it was too heavy for her ulcerated legs.
[The quilt] was donated to The Pioneer Women's Hut by Ivy Clarke. It is displayed occasionally at the museum.
DescriptionWholecloth quilt with replacement cover (1958) of green damask type synthetic sateen. The padding is two old blankets with staples of cross bred wool hand tacked to one blanket.
1400 x 1210 mm
This is a historical record and cannot be modified.