The quilt was made by Phyllis Gow in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, in 1964 for her Mother, Imelda Johnson. On her Mother's death the quilt passed to Phyllis and on her death to her husband. On his death the present owner bought the quilt. The maker went from Sydney to Port Moresby following her marriage in 1938 to Eric Mitchell on the 'Bulolo'. She was repatriated to Sydney during the war. Her husband died as a POW. Phyllis remarried in Sydney about 1954 and returned to PNG with her husband Allan Gow. They retired to Sydney in the early 1970s. The quilt was made for her mother who lived with her during her latter years. The present owner, Marie Colbron Conroy, attended the same church as Phyllis and Allan Gow and on Allan's death purchased the quilt.
Quilt of 70mm hexagons forming rosettes. Satin material in plain colours. Background is several shades of grey. There is a 135mm silver grey border that is mitred and returns to the back. There is no padding. The backing is a darker grey. The quilt is signed by the maker and dated.
1870 x 1350mm