Made in 1886 at Middleton Stoney, Oxfordshire England, by Mrs Fanny Matilda Elliott (born East 1860-1934). Previously owned by Fanny's daughter, Olive Avenell Scott (born Elliott 1899-1991). Donated to the Griffith Pioneer Park Museum, Griffith NSW. Fanny Elliott's husband was a tailor and the quilt was made from scraps from the tailor's shop. In 1923 Fanny's daughter Olive came to Australia and brought the quilt with her. She had met Mr Doug Scott in England during the war years (1916-1918) and they had struck up a relationship, so Olive came out to marry him.
Doug and Olive lived out on the farm at Lake Wyangan NSW, which they had bought in the 1920s. The farm is run by their son Frank, who remembers the quilt being used on beds when he was growing up.
Patchwork quilt made from hexagon patches of cotton, silk, brocade, sateen and wool. Some silk patches are individually lined. Colours are mainly red, blues, purple, black, yellow and brown, with some pastels. Many silk patches have disintegrated, showing the paper templates. Quilt has a brown cotton inner lining then a blue cotton backing and is edged on the reverse with checked silk. Hand sewn by more than one person: one experienced sewer, one not so experienced.
1370 x 1170mm