HistoryThe maker and history of this skin rug is unknown. It has been at 'Craigmoor' for a long time and is now part of the collection owned by NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service and displayed at 'Craigmoor' Hill End NSW. James Marshall (1828-1905) from Scotland via the Californian gold rush and Sarah Langslow Adams (1836-1926) born Herefordshire England, were married in 1858 at Hill End. Reef mining in the 1860s brought fame and fortune to this mining settlement, north of Sofala and Bathurst in NSW. In 1875 James Marshall had 'Craigmoor' built and he and Sarah lived there with their family of nine children, two having died in infancy. The textile collection at 'Craigmoor', including the quilts, reflects the Marshall women, Sarah and her daughters Hannah (1859-1950), Jean (1867-1948) and Agnes (1871-1950) and gives a glimpse of the daily lives of the women. Needlework, including crochet, in various forms, was important and some of the women made their own hats. At least in the later years, it appears to have been a thrifty household with many quilts made over and patched. Hannah, a spinster, lived at 'Craigmoor' from the time it was built until her death aged 91. She taught Sunday school in Hill End and was well known locally for her bottling, preserving and jam making. She also made elderberry wine. The three sisters were fond of playing the piano.
[Sources: NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service brochure on Hill End, Sue Stephens (daughter of Charles Marshall), Christine Karlsen, informal conversations with the locals at 'The Royal'. Wendy Hucker for NQR]
DescriptionKangaroo skin rug made from 450 x 270mm pieces overstitched together. The backing is a wholecloth plaid in red brought to the front and machine stitched to form a 60mm binding.
1660 x 1400mm