HistoryThis quilt was made by Florence Beaton of 'Sunshine Farm' in the 1950s or 1960s. It is now owned by the Red Cliffs & District Historical Society Inc. at Red Cliffs Victoria. The Society also has a fine collection of Florence and Clara's needlework. Florence (Flo) Beaton (born McNabb 1920-1996) was the daughter of Clara and Frank McNabb who selected block 46 at Carwarp in the harsh mallee country of north western Victoria in 1913. They called it 'Sunshine Farm'. Florence was one of four children (three boys). She recalled* that her mother Clara once won a nail driving competition, was an expert with a shotgun, worked on the farm driving a team of horses, had a wonderful garden and was a fine needlewoman as was her mother Ellen before her. Flo carried on the needlework tradition of her mother and grandmother and was accomplished in many types of needlework including making quilts. Flo did not have any children.
[*Reference: "A Woman's Work" by Florence Beaton. The story of a Mallee farmer's wife from 1913. Published by The Sunnyland Press, Red Cliffs 1985]
DescriptionLog cabin pattern, each block dark and light strips. Four blocks joined with dark strips to centre to make a larger block. Thirty large blocks and two sides with half blocks. Each block is machined on to calico. Materials include velvets, corduroys, interlock, taffetas and silver lame. There is a 170mm bottle green border and a single piece of mid brown synthetic for the backing. The padding is probably Dacron.
2400 x 2100mm