HistoryThe maker was Mrs Lawrence. It was made in NSW about 1910. Bert Lawrence, Mrs Lawrence's son gave the quilt to the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney in 1973. The quilt is used for research and exhibition purposes only. "The quilt was brought to the museum in about 1973 by Mrs Bert Lawrence, as her husband was not well. According to her, Bert remembered being sent to the tailor's shop as a child of five or six to buy samples of cotton fabric for his mother's patchwork. His father did contract work, fencing etc. around NSW and Queensland."
DescriptionReversible cot quilt, hand pieced, in the log cabin pattern; the blocks measure 150mm square. The patches have been cut from plain and patterned dress, pyjama and men's shirt fabrics. Strong diagonals were created in the overall design through using light and dark colours, often a strong red, to divide the log cabin blocks in half diagonally. The back is made from rectangles of striped men's shirt fabrics in pastel blues, pinks and browns with a large 'flower' in each corner, each pieced from six hexagon patches around a central seventh hexagon. There is no padding. [PHM]
1720 x 1150mm