HistoryThis quilt was made by Florence Beaton of 'Sunshine Farm' in the 1950s or 1960s. It is now owned by the Red Cliffs & District Historical Society Inc. at Red Cliffs Victoria. The Society also has a fine collection of Florence and Clara's needlework. Florence (Flo) Beaton (born McNabb 1920-1996) was the daughter of Clara and Frank McNabb who selected block 46 at Carwarp in the harsh mallee country of north western Victoria in 1913. They called it 'Sunshine Farm'. Florence was one of 4 children (3 boys). She recalled* that her mother Clara once won a nail driving competition, was an expert with a shotgun, worked on the farm driving a team of horses, had a wonderful garden and was a fine needlewoman as was her mother Ellen before her. Flo carried on the needlework tradition of her mother and grandmother and was accomplished in many types of needlework including making quilts. Flo did not have any children.
[*Reference: "A Woman's Work" by Florence Beaton. The story of a Mallee farmer's wife from 1913. Published by The Sunnyland Press, Red Cliffs 1985]
DescriptionThirty squares of machined strips around a small centre square. Each square is light and dark and together they form diagonal light and dark strips across the quilt. Colours are teal, dusty pink, red, dark green, apricot. Materials are cotton, velvets, satins, corduroys and lame. There is a border of regency stripes and the backing is the same material. The padding is probably dacron.
1750 x 1700mm