HistoryThe quilt was made by Julia Jeffries at Ournie on the upper Murray [River] New South Wales c. 1900. It was handed down in the family by maternal descent and donated to The Pioneer Women's Hut by Bessie Hillis of Tallangatta NSW. Julia Jeffries (1846-1919) lived with her husband Jabez at Ournie NSW. They had eleven children.
[The quilt] is displayed in the museum occasionally.
DescriptionMachine constructed log cabin quilt using a wide variety of strips of used clothing including cottons, men's suitings and wools. Each square is about 250mm and arranged in the 'light and dark of the fire' variation of log cabin. There is no padding. The backing is brown twill with an orange pattern and is probably a replacement backing.
2180 x 1710 mm
This is a historical record and cannot be modified.